The definition of advertising is as follows: The activity or profession of producing advertisements for commercial products or services.
Consumers receive about 5,000 marketing messages each day, many of them in the form of advertising. Advertising is the most visible form of no personal promotion and the most effective for many firms. One of the most effective advertising is interpersonal networking. The definition of advertising takes on many forms and there are many methods that we will discuss in minimum detail to explain why it is important to any business.
Advertising Media-Marketers must choose how to allocate their advertising budgets among various types of media such as
· Television-Television is still one of Americas leading national advertising media.
· Newspapers-Daily and weekly newspapers continue to dominate local advertising.
· Radio-Despite the proliferation of other media, the average U.S. household owns five radios.
· Magazines-Magazines include consumer publications and business trade journals.
· Direct Mail-The average U.S. household receives about 550 pieces of direct mail each year, including 100 catalogs.
· Outdoor advertising-Outdoor advertising accounts for nearly 7 billion dollars in advertising expenditures.
· Internet Advertising-Marketing experts reported that sales from online advertising have surpassed 20 billion dollars per year and could soon surpass 50 billion.
· Sponsorship-One of the hottest trends in promotion offers marketers the ability to integrate several elements of the promotional mix. Sponsorship involves providing funds for a sporting or cultural event in exchange for a direct association with the event.
As consumers filter out familiar advertising messages, marketers look for novel ways to catch their attention. In addition to the major media, firms promote through many other vehicles such as infomercials and specialized media. Advertisers use just about any medium they can find, as the market is ever-changing and must keep up with the latest techniques. Google is looking for ways to combine the targeting capabilities of internet advertising and the richness of the television medium. Direct advertising with the accountability of the internet, with the emotion of television is the next big trend to stay up with. Advertising expenditures vary among industries, companies, and media.
As you can see, the definition of media advertising has many avenues of approach. It is one of the most effective types of advertising, surpassing sales promotion, trade oriented promotions, games, contests, sweepstakes, and many other techniques. This is where all the money is made and invested, from the small business owner to multi-billion dollar companies.